First, what is SASE (Secure Access Service Edge)?
SASE (pronounced “sassy”) simplifies wide-area networking (WAN) and security by delivering both as a cloud service directly to the source of connection rather than the enterprise data center. Digital transformation, remote work from anywhere and cloud-based computing have accelerated cloud-delivered SASE offerings to enable anywhere, anytime access from any device.
Why is this a big deal?
Existing network approaches and technologies no longer provide the levels of security and access control organizations need to enable anytime, anywhere access to data. To enable and protect anywhere, anytime access, security must become software-defined and cloud-delivered, forcing changes in security architecture and vendor selection.
Originally described by Gartner in 2019, SASE combines wide area networking and network security services like CASB, FWaaS and Zero Trust, into a single, cloud-delivered service model. Gartner expects that, “by 2025, at least 60% of enterprises will have explicit strategies to adopt SASE, up from less than 1% at year-end 2018.” A SASE architecture identifies users and devices, applies policy-based security, and delivers secure access to the appropriate application or data. This approach allows organizations to apply secure access no matter where their users, applications or devices are located.
How does a SASE security model help you?
- Flexibility: Implement and deliver security services such as threat prevention, web filtering, sandboxing, DNS security, credential theft prevention, data loss prevention and next-generation firewall policies, with cloud-based services
- Cost savings: A single platform will dramatically reduce your costs and IT resources
- Reduced complexity: Simply your infrastructure by reducing the number of security products your IT team needs, consolidating your security stack into a cloud-based network security service model
- Improved performance: Easily connect to where resources are located with a cloud-based service
- Zero Trust: A Zero Trust approach to the cloud removes trust assumptions when users, devices and applications connect. A SASE solution will provide complete session protection, regardless of whether a user is on or off the corporate network
- Threat prevention: With full content inspection integrated into a SASE solution, you benefit from more security and visibility into your network
- Data protection: Implementing data protection policies within a SASE framework helps prevent unauthorized access and abuse of sensitive data
What actions should you take to adopt SASE?
According to Gartner, there are a variety of actions to consider when creating a SASE roadmap.
- Deploy zero trust network access (ZTNA) to augment or replace legacy VPN for remote users
- Review equipment and contracts to implement a multiyear phase out of on-premises perimeter and branch hardware in favor of cloud-based delivery of SASE capabilities
- Consolidate vendors and cut complexity and costs as contracts renew for secure web gateways (SWGs), cloud access security brokers (CASBs) and VPN. Leverage a converged market that emerges combining these security edge services
- Consolidate SASE offerings to a single vendor or two partnered vendors
- Implement ZTNA for all users regardless of location
- Choose SASE offerings that allow control of where inspection takes place, how traffic is routed, what is logged, and where logs are stored to meet privacy and compliance requirements
- Create a dedicated team of security and networking experts with a shared responsibility for secure access engineering spanning on-premises, remote workers, branch offices and edge locations
How Netrix can help.
- Design: We can help you develop your strategy, including short- and long-term goals to implement and optimize SASE, and work with you to align business and security needs to achieve optimal design
- Deliver: Leverage our services and experienced resources to help you implement SASE, based on our use cases, knowledge, and technical experience
- Support: We can augment your internal network and security teams with ongoing management, monitoring and support of SASE
There is no single one-size-fits-all SASE solution. Talk to Netrix specialist today about how our SASE services can increase security, visibility and performance for your organization.